BY GREGOR
Christian Evangelicals have single handedly moved Mike Huckabee to double-digit leads in the polls, seemingly based on nothing more than the fact that he’s a Christian. Never mind that he doesn’t even remotely resemble a conservative.
Thank God that many are now coming to their senses as they realize the man is apparently not what he’s made himself out to be. At least one Evangelical realizes the importance of substance over style and now sees the only logical choice to be Fred Thompson.
Via Tennessean.com:
Like Huckabee, I am an evangelical, a Southern Baptist, staunchly pro-life and pro-second amendment. Huckabee's charm, his effectiveness in arguing conservative viewpoints won me over. Not long after my conversion, the Huckaboom erupted in Iowa, South Carolina, Florida and spread to the most of the country. I donated $50 to his candidacy in early November, because I believed he could win the GOP nomination.
I made a big mistake.
I particularly focused on the news stories emerging from Arkansas, reasoning that Arkansans would know Huckabee the most. I was completely shocked when I read an Arkansas Leader article stating Huckabee issued more than 700 commutations and pardons during his tenure, more than Arkansas' six neighboring states combined. I was even more repulsed when I learned the list of pardons and commutations included convicted murderers and rapists.
As a fiscal conservative, I was annoyed with Huckabee's protectionist-sounding rhetoric and particularly his name-calling, labeling the conservative group Club for Growth, the "Club for Greed." His immigration policies as governor also gave me cause for concern, but I pushed all of Huckabee's faults to the back of my mind, instead choosing to dwell on his pro-life record and position on the war. However, when I studied the Wayne Dumond story and Huckabee's "desire" to see the convicted rapist released into society, alarm bells went off. After reading the Arkansas Leader article on Huckabee's shocking propensity to side with convicted murderers and rapists over victims, I meekly pulled off my Huckabee bumper stickers.
So who does this Evangelical vote for now?
In the end, Republicans will avoid choosing style over substance. Thompson "hands down" possesses excellent judgment, and he will win because he is the most reliable, consistent, principled conservative in this race. Unleash the Fredmentum.
Click here to read the entire article.




















0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home